Loading ...

Every child at St Mary's Primary School brings a unique set of strengths and it is our aim to fulfil each child's potential. In our school some children have difficulties that affect their learning and they need specific types of support for some, or all of their time with us.

What do we mean by Special Needs?

A child or young person has special educational needs (SEN) if they need extra support because they find it harder to learn than the majority of other children or young people of the same age.

Examples of special educational needs include:

  • Speech, language and communication needs
  • Behavioural, emotional and social difficulties
  • Autistic spectrum condition
  • Specific learning difficulties, such as Dyslexia and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Moderate learning difficulties
  • Profound and multiple learning difficulties
  • Multi-sensory impairment


What do we mean by disability?

A child or young person has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial or long term effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities. Research suggests that about 6-7% of children are disabled. 

Children and young people with the most complex needs will require specialist services. They will require support with their health, education or physical, intellectual, emotional, social or behavioural development due to disabilities including:


  • Multiple and complex health needs or chronic illness
  • Sensory impairment such as hearing loss or visual impairment
  • A significant and long term learning difficulty
  • A physical disability
  • Autistic spectrum disorder
  • A severe communication disorder, or
  • A significant pre-school developmental delay 


Northamptonshire's Local Offer is aimed at providing better support and services for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their families.


If you would like to discuss anything with our SENDco Miss Price, Please call the school on 01536 722757


Arrangement for complaints about SEND provision:

We urge parents / carers with any concerns regarding the SEND policy or the provision made for their child to speak to the school as soon as possible and, in the first instance, to the class teacher or the SENCO. If parents / carers feel their child's needs are still not being met they should make an appointment to see the Headteacher. If concerns are still unresolved parents / carers may wish to engage with PDET’s Complaints policy procedures, click here.

NB - any issue relating to statutory SEN assessments should be pursued with the relevant Local Authority and not via PDET’s Complaints policy.

If parents/carers require further adivce/support, they should use the local Information, Advice and Support Service for Special Educational Needs and Disability (North Northamptonshire SEND IASS). Their contact information can be found below:
North Northants SEND IAS covering Wellingborough, Rushden, Kettering and Corby.



Telephone number - 0300 373 2532
Email address – SENDIASS@northnorthants.gov.uk
Website - https://www.iassnorthants.co.uk/Pages/home.aspx